Thursday, February 16, 2006

Weekly Pulls [16 Feb 2006]

Cover of the Moment:  'She-Hulk' #5Just some thoughts on the comics I picked up this week. No “real” books this week, unfortunately. I really need to get back to finishing my rereading of The Count of Monte Cristo though.

» Justice #4 (DC)
I’m not liking this series as much as everyone on the boards. The art’s still solid despite Alex Ross not penciling, only painting the art.
Rating: 7 out of 10 (good)

» The Incredible Hulk #92 (Marvel)
Decent, though I’ve been out of the Hulk loop for a long time now. At least it’s a “major event” that’s getting over hyped like everything else these days. It’s only the first book of the Planet Hulk event, so it can go either way.
Rating: 6 out of 10 (average)

» The New Avengers #16 (Marvel)
Much like Justice above, this book’s all about the art for me. Steve McNiven should be a regular artist on this series. From what it looks like in this issue we may get some sort of closure from the House of M event from Bendis himself.
Rating: 7 out of 10 (good)

» She-Hulk #5 (Marvel)
This second volume or “season” isn’t as good as the first six issues of the last volume, but it’s still pretty funny. Nothing since Spidey’s lawsuit against J. Jonah Jameson in the first volume has gotten me laughing to the point of falling out of my chair though. Gotta love the Greg Horn covers though.
Rating: 6 out of 10 (average)

» Ultimate Fantastic Four #27 (Marvel)
Mark Millar deserves all of the hype that Brian Michael Bendis is getting, he’s just the better writer who can actually consistently write engaging superhero stories (it’s not that easy, look at 75% of the crap Marvel and DC puts out and you’ll know why). The great art by Greg Land is just icing on the cake. Sure the story’s been done before in theme, with Ben depressed over his life as the Thing, but the way he elaborates on his pain makes it unique.
Rating: 8 out of 10 (good)

» X-Men: Deadly Genesis # 4 (Marvel)
Ed Brubaker’s starting to feel like an over hyped writer these days, much like Bendis is. This series isn’t living up to the man’s rep.
Rating: 6 out of 10 (average)
“This skin disorder I got in here. This radiation thing that’s happening to my body. This ain’t temporary… This is a lifetime condition and that ain’t ever gonna change. It’s okay ofr you. Your symptoms after the accident made you a super-stud. You date cool chicks and go to cool parties. Me, I just think about suicide every day. I’d slit my wrists if I could find a razor that didn’t break every time I tried. You think Reed could help end it, Johnny? You think he could find a way to kill me since he’s given up on curing me? You figure that’s too much to ask?”
Comic of the Moment: Ultimate Fantastic Four #27 by Mark Millar and Greg Land

No comments: