Friday, February 24, 2006

Weekly Pulls [22 Feb 2006]

Cover of the Moment:  'Batman' #650I bought more comics than I should’ve this week. I was originally thinking there would be only four but I picked up about seven plus the new issue of Wizard. Comic runs are getting expensive.

» The American Way #1 (Wildstorm)
The guy who drew this issue, Georges Jeanty, was doing a signing in store the day this book was released. Ian and I had a pleasant talk with him for about five minutes about comics, and I tell you it’s made reading this more enjoyable. Initially it wasn’t anything new in terms of ideas, but the end was interesting. The artwork was solid so this was a good pull this week. An added bonus was seeing the sign of the Fox Theater, a landmark in Atlanta, in the book.
Rating: 7 out of 10 (good)

» Astonishing X-Men #13 (Marvel)
I missed this book. It’s the only consistent X-Men title and deserves to be a flagship title, though I’ll admit that the last page’s spread was kind of goofy looking.
Rating: 9 out of 10 (good)

» Batman #650 (DC)
Talk about a typical ending to a storyline that could’ve been interesting. The horrible art didn’t’ help much.
Rating: 5 out of 10 (average)

» Captain America #15 (Marvel)
Brubaker’s consistent with his writing. This issue was good despite not focusing much on Cap at all.
Rating: 7 out of 10 (good)

» Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #2 (Marvel)
One of the better Bruce Banner stories I’ve read in a while. This issue was also my introduction to the word “tofurkey” in a highly humorous manner.
Rating: 10 out of 10 (excellent)

» X-Men #183 (Marvel)
Eh, I can’t wait until a new writing team is put on this book. This Apocalypse story really isn’t holding my interest.
Rating: 6 out of 10 (average)
“Oh, and fascism’s better, then? Not better, maybe, but more honest, at least. It don’t pretend to value human life while making that life a helluva lot worse off.”
Comic of the Moment: Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #2 by Damon Lindelof and Leinil Francis Yu

No comments: