Sunday, April 30, 2006

Shorts from Last Week

Mary JaneI figure most of these were stories or ideas either too short or too insignificant for one post. I decided to post them all here in no particular order.

» Random Points
Jack has a gay stalker. I actually believe him.

All-things-ninja seemed like a theme for last week. Ninja Gaiden, the new hamster, and last week’s episode of the Sopranos were signs too blatant to ignore.

Meghan and I were unable to come to a conclusion over who was hotter: Katie Meagher or Tiffany Barnett. You decide!

Warren Ellis is gone on a trip and FARK isn’t feeding me anything interesting. I’m so without good, crazy news.

» Four Colors on Pulp
I find it weird that Jeph Loeb’s writing comics with two of my favorite artists from the mid-90’s. They first announced that Joe Madureira (Uncanny X-Men, Battle-Chasers) would be penciling his first arc on The Ultimates. Madureira was one of my favorite artists in my early high school years and the main reason I read Uncanny. A week or two ago they also announce that Jeph Loeb would be doing some sort of Spider-Man project with J. Scott Campbell, whose art was the reason I started to pick up Gen 13 around the same time. The picture linked with this post is a sketch of Mary Jane by Campbell, in case you were wondering. He’s known for cheesecake comic art.

» The Bookshelf
I’m currently reading (or finishing) The Prince by Machiavelli, Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, and On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfurt. I think I might reread Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and Steel later and maybe even (gasp) some of the stuff Meghan suggested.

» Heavy Rotation
My current top five on iTunes are:
1. “Lasiurus” composed by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard
2. “Orion” by Metallica
3. “Aerith’s Theme” composed by Nobuo Uematsu
4. “Trinity” by Carlos Santana and Kirk Hammett
5. “Awake” by Godsmack
Here’s an interesting note about the songs listed above. All except for “Awake” are instrumentals, so no lyrics. I believe that lyrics add limits to music and constrain the possibilities of its meaning definitely.
♪…LAST DANCE WITH MARY JANE
ONE MORE TIME TO KILL THE PAIN
I FEEL SUMMER CREEPIN’ IN AND I’M
TIRED OF THIS TOWN AGAIN...♪
Song of the Moment: “Last Dance with Mary Jane” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

No comments: