Monday, April 24, 2006

Some Kind of Fans

Metal up your ass!!!Recommended Reading:Some Kind of Winners.” Metallica.com. 21 Apr. 2006.

“Why’d you pick Metallica as your favorite band?” I get asked this question usually after I reveal to people that my favorite band to be four head bangers from San Francisco, usually in a tone that implies that asker thinks that there’s something wrong with me. My usual reply is that after hearing the song “The Unforgiven” on some kid’s Walkman I instantly became interested in the world of music, though that’s not really the full reason.

Before I ramble on, let me summarize the article linked above. When their documentary, Some Kind of Monster, was released on DVD, a small number of DVDs contained a “golden ticket” that awarded winners with an all-expenses-paid trip to HQ where they got to hang out with a band a day. This wasn’t just some lame extended backstage ticket, many got a chance to jam with the band and listen to the recordings they made while they singing alongside Metallica. I know a lot of artists tout their fans as being the best, but how many of them go out and do something like this for them? Metallica’s also done similar meetings with terminally-ill children through the Make a Wish Foundation.

I think I’ve made a good pick when it comes to bands that I’ll listen to for a lifetime. How many of you can make the same claim?
♪…HOTEL ROOMS AND MOTORWAYS, LIFE OUT HERE IS RAW
BUT WE’LL NEVER STOP, WE’LL NEVER QUIT, ‘CAUSE YOU’RE METALLICA…♪
Song of the Moment: “Whiplash” performed live by Metallica

No comments: