Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Trusting the Minute Men

EchoI went and ordered four more 100 Bullets trades for about $40 on Amazon, so it looks like I’m hooked. My first helping of hard-boiled noir from the team of Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso came from my enjoyment of their “Broken City” story in the issues of Batman, which I still tout as one of my favorite Dark Knight stories. I decided to give their Vertigo book, mentioned above, a try and was initially confused. The language used in the book is very close to what you would hear on the streets. The street-speak changes to appropriate different cultures, whether it be Hispanics, Blacks, or Whites. The series is not only limited to stories on the streets, as there is a intriguing conspiracy behind the story. I’d blab one for longer, but I think Warren Ellis’s quote on the back of the first trade says it best: “Death, power, sex, money, secrets and bullets: these are the only things worth talking about. That is why I buy 100 Bullets.” My only regret is that it’s hard to recommend to the casual reader due to it’s harsh depictions.
“Inside this attaché case is irrefutable evidence that what I’m telling you is true. Also in the attaché is a gun, and one-hundred rounds of ammunition all untraceable, all yours. Do with it as you see fit. If you act on this information, you will have carte blanche.”
Comic of the Moment: 100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso

No comments: