Saturday, August 29, 2009

"We Take Care of Our Friends"

A week or so ago a bunch of my military brat friends posted one of those chain-lettery things on Face Book discussing the differences between civilian and military friends. They indicated that the bonds between service members were much stronger than those between their non-military counterparts. After growing up in Army Posts for most of my life, I’ve witnessed a decline in these special bonds, especially amongst the younger Privates. They seem more concerned with “what can you do for them” as opposed to “what can they do for you.” Whatever happened to Soldiers taking care of their own, each helping to shoulder the load as opposed to just watching one bear the burden on his or her own? You offer to help someone these days only to have some jackass on the side insinuating in a high-school-like manner that your intentions aren’t altruistic at all. I miss the old days where without having thinking twice or receive direction, you ran back for those who had fallen behind, picked your sparring partner off the ground, spotted a buddy who was short on cash to pay his or her tab, dragged that drunk friend back from the bar safely to his or her room, etc. The people I’ve tagged in this note have in some shape or form helped me out when I needed it and when I didn’t, demonstrating a good understanding of the word “selfless.” Thanks y’all. And if anyone feels like I missed them on the tagging, I owe you a drink.
♪…THROUGH THESE FIELDS OF DESTRUCTION
BAPTISMS OF FIRE
I’VE WATCHED ALL YOUR SUFFERING
AS THE BATTLES RAGED HIGHER
AND THOUGH THEY DID HURT ME SO BAD
IN THE FEAR AND ALARM
YOU DID NOT DESERT ME
MY BROTHERS IN ARMS…♪
Song of the Moment: “Brothers in Arms” by the Dire Straits

No comments: